We facilitate a network of support for our students and alumni so that we ensure our teacher leaders continue to grow and evolve as professionals.
- Offers a support team of a field supervisor, a mentor and a cooperating teacher for two semesters of authentic observation and teaching experiences during the practicum
- Continues program support with an internship experience that hones strong analysis of student work, classroom management and parent-teacher relationships
- Provides an online alumni network for collaboration and support
- Provides assistance in job placement
- Provides access to high-quality professional development trainings offered at Rice University for pre- and in-service teachers
- Nurtures pre- and in-service teachers in the development of their instructional leadership skills
Professional Development Opportunities
The Teacher Education Department and affiliated departments in the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies offer a wide variety of professional development for K-12 educators to support the continued growth of our alumni and Houston-area educators. Learn more.
Rice Future Teachers
The Rice Future Teachers is a group of students and faculty interested in furthering the aims of secondary education in Houston and beyond. We understand that teaching diverse students in a global society demands effective educators with a commitment to student-centered learning, equity and social justice. The goals of the Rice Future Teachers are to explore critical issues in education and to facilitate a network of support for pre-service and in-service teachers. Members include undergraduate teacher education students, graduate students in the Master of Arts in Teaching program and Rice students simply interested in learning more about the American education system.
Faculty and staff in Teacher Education provide assistance to students in their search for teaching positions in the Houston area. We maintain extensive relationships with area school districts, keeping our district partners apprised of Rice students who are seeking employment, and we often bring district human resources personnel to campus to speak with students.
Additionally, career services can be utilized through the Rice University Center for Career Development whose mission is to educate, facilitate connections and empower students to pursue their professional aspirations.
Also, the Office of Alumni Affairs offers a wide variety of events and special interest groups. To learn more, visit their website at alumni.rice.edu/.
Stay connected with Rice Teacher Education Alumni through our Facebook page.