MAT for New Teachers
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) is a 36-hour, nonthesis graduate degree program which fulfills all requirements for a Texas Standard Teaching Certificate. Coursework includes professional education courses and extensive field experiences. The program is designed for students holding bachelor’s degrees who are interested in pursuing graduate study in education while preparing for teacher certification at the secondary level.
Our dedicated faculty offer new teachers an exceptional amount of personal contact, coaching, support and supervision through this rigorous academic program. Teacher candidates receive a support team of a field supervisor, a mentor and a cooperating teacher for multiple semesters of observation and teaching experiences. Additionally, program support continues with an internship experience that hones strong analysis of student work, classroom management, and an alumni network for collaboration and support.
Professional education courses include extensive study of the historical, political and philosophical backgrounds of American education; the structure, culture and curriculum of secondary schools and their diverse students; and the developmental psychology of children and adolescents. These courses and their related field observations serve as the foundation for the seminars in teaching and curriculum development, which not only offer instructional methods but also close examination of the epistemologies and ways of learning that characterize the subject.
Course Specialties/Teaching Fields:
- Art, EC-12
- English Language Arts and Reading, 7-12
- History, 7-12
- Spanish, EC-12
- Mathematics, 7-12
- Science, 7-12 (Eligible to teach the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science, Environmental, Astronomy)
- Social Studies, 7-12 (Eligible to teach the following subjects: Economics, Geography, Government, History, Psychology, Sociology)
Why Choose Rice?
- Extensive field experiences: Each professional education course incorporates field-based experiences into its curriculum to facilitate they synthesis of theory and practice.
- Exceptional support: Teacher candidates receive a support team of a field supervisor, a mentor and a cooperating teacher for multiple semesters of observation and teaching experiences.
- Affordable: Rice University believes in the importance of developing teacher leaders. We are committed to keeping the costs of the Master of Arts in Teaching program for experienced teachers as low as possible. Financial incentives include significantly reduced tuition for all admitted students. Additionally, we offer a limited number of merit-based, partial scholarships to highly qualified students.
- Designed for teacher leaders: We seek to develop instructional leaders who continue to grow in their profession; honing their pedagogical skills, encouraging and mentoring their peers, and contributing to the professional development of their educational communities.
For those seeking a career change and who are interested in pursuing graduate study in education, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) for New Teachers is the preferred route. This program fulfills all requirements for a Texas Standard Teaching Certificate at the secondary level. Coursework includes professional education courses, advanced content coursework, and extensive field experiences that pave the way for a fulfilling, new career in education. STEM professionals who enter the program will have opportunities for credit courses and professional development through the Rice University K-12 Initiatives. Please schedule an advising appointment to discuss your individualized plan of study.
Join us at an upcoming information session.
Learn more about the Master of Arts in Teaching for new teachers: