MAT for New Teachers Admissions
The Master of Arts in Teaching is a 36-hour degree program that includes professional education courses extensive field experiences. The program is designed for students holding bachelor’s degrees who are interested in pursuing graduate study in education while preparing for teacher certification at the secondary level.
Application forms may be obtained through the Rice University Online Application System.
In support of the application, candidates must have an undergraduate degree and submit:
- Official transcripts of previous university studies which reflect a minimum of 21 hours of content area courses in your selected teaching field
- Four letters of reference accompanied by the forms provided in the application packet (minimum of two references must be academic)
- Overall 3.0 GPA or higher
- Minimum 2.5 GPA in content area
- Demonstrated content knowledge
- 24 credit hours in content area, or
- Minimum 12 credit hours in content area (15 for math and science) and Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT)
- Graduate Record Examination score (no more than 5 years old, scores must be at or above the 70th percentile)
- Passing scores on (or documented exemption from) the THEA test
- $85.00 application fee
Interview – In addition to the above mentioned criteria, applicants will be required to participate in an interview conducted by members of the program faculty and staff.
January 15 - Fall semester admission and early admission (classes start in summer)
March 15 - Late fall semester admission (classes start in fall)
October 15 - Spring semester admission
Interested candidates who have missed the application deadline should contact Olga Trejo, 713-348-4826, for additional options.
Rice University seeks to attract to its faculty, staff and student body qualified persons of diverse backgrounds. In accordance with this policy, Rice does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Join us at an upcoming information session.
Learn more about the Master of Arts in Teaching for new teachers: